To put it simply, Flippa is an online platform allowing people to sell their websites, apps and domain names through an auction system.
I decided to use them (December 2015) in order to sell one of my online businesses and was really happy to find out that they are now offering a system called “Flippa Escrow” to handle transactions safely.
The way Flippa Escrow works is pretty simple:
- The buyer send the money to Flippa Escrow
- Flippa Escrow locks the money on their Platform
- The seller verify his identity and transfer the website
- The buyer is happy and click on the “Release Funds” button
- Flippa Escrow sends the money to the seller
Sounds great, right? If only it was working that way…
After accepting a high offer for my website ($XX,XXX), the buyer and I started using Flippa Escrow. We received a first message from a person called Genie Guo, to congratulate us for the sale and connecting us personally to “Ian McFaul” (head of customer success at Flippa Escrow). He also mentioned that if we had any questions during the Flippa Escrow process, we could reach out to them directly.
I then received a second email from Ian McFaul saying that they will contact me soon to ask me for specific documents in order to verify my identity. Fair enough. I told him to let me know what are the needed documents and that I will send them to him quickly.
At that time, both the buyer and I, were really pleased. The very same day the auction ended, the buyer sent the money to Flippa Escrow. However, after a week without seeing the money on Flippa Escrow, we contacted them.
They told us (Ian McFaul) that there was $20 missing (because of bank processing fees) and that they sent a message to the buyer to let him know about the issue and asked him to send the missing $20 via Paypal. Oddly, the buyer never received such a message (and it wasn’t in his junk folder)… Anyway, he quickly sent the $20 missing. The money was (finally) received by Flippa Escrow.
I then focused on transferring my website and all the files / assets. I made sure to organize everything well to make things easier for the buyer and he was really pleased.
Few days later, I received a message from Flippa Escrow saying that I haven’t replied to their previous message regarding the documents needed to verify my identity. They also said that, if I don’t send them these documents soon, they won’t send me the money and will ban me from Flippa. Wooow.
Oddly (again), this message never reached my mailbox (though most of the others did). I never received any messages from Flippa asking me for specific documents. So I got back to them quickly, apologized, and asked them to tell me more about the needed documents (I made sure to CC Ian McFaul).
I then received a reply from Ian, telling me that they needed a photo of my passport and a photo of myself holding the passport. I quickly took the photos and sent everything back to them few minutes after receiving his message.
I thought everything was ok and I finished to transfer the website to the buyer. He was really satisfied.
After couple of days, I received a another message from Flippa Escrow saying that they haven’t heard back from me and haven’t received the required documents needed to verify my identity. I started feeling frustrated as I already sent them everything couple of days ago. So I replied to their email, told them that I have already sent them all the documents, but, just in case, I’ll send them again. I attached the required documents and also sent them via WeTransfer (as Flippa gave me a link to their account).
I got a notification from WeTransfer saying that Flippa Escrow downloaded my files. I then received a mail from Flippa Escrow saying that my identity was now verified.
I then asked the buyer to release the funds (which he did in the next minutes). I thought everything was finally over and that the money was on its way to my bank account. But it wasn’t the case…
Few days later, I received another email from Flippa Escrow saying that they haven’t heard back from me regarding the needed documents and that they will ban me (and keep the money) if I don’t send them. At that time, I was really angry. I replied to their message, telling them that I have already sent them everything several times. I re-attached all the documents, sent the WeTransfer link, added screenshots (of their messages saying that my identity was verified and another screenshot proving that they have downloaded the files). I sent this email to all the Flippa contacts I currently have (escrow support, flippa support, Ian McFaul, Genie Guo…).
Since then (and it’s been more than a week), they have been ignoring me totally. I sent them several other messages, asking them to update me and find a solution to this issue but… nothing.
I don’t understand how a big company like Flippa can treat their customers so badly. Would it hurt them to send me a message saying “Hey, we are sorry about the issue you’re experiencing with Flippa Escrow. We are currently working on it and it will be solved soon. We will update you tomorrow.”?
They have been really quick to withdraw their “success fees” ($X,XXX). Why can’t they do the same for their sellers?
As of today, I still haven’t heard back from them. I am now sending them messages everyday but it looks like they don’t care at all. Great, right?
I hope my issue will be solved in the coming days. The next time I am planning to sell one of my websites, I will definitely choose a different platform.
More Review Details
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Product or Service Quality|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Customer support
- Reason of review:
- Poor customer service
- Preferred solution:
- Deliver product or service ordered
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Flippa Escrow
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "I received a $50 Debit card from T-Mobile issued by CitiBank ( a risky and frustrating process alone). At no time was I advised or did I agree to an..."
- "Hello. DirectTV installed a big satellite dish on the (newer) roof of my home-that I rent out in Copperas Cove. My tenant claims his mother had ordered the service (long..."
- "All they had to do is install a DISH dish, disconnect the Directv dish and connect the cable to the new dish. Instead they drilled holes, ran cables, cut cables,..."
- "If you are ever contacted by Pacific Tycoon, telling they purchase containers on your behalf, lease them out for you, promising high returns: either fixed 12% or fluctuating returns averaging..."
- "I bought a watch from Jomashop and they guarantee 30 days money returns back to me. So i paid it with paypal but over 30 days i didn't get ..."
- "So this is my first time ordering flowers and I definitely should have read the reviews before ordering from here. I ordered the summer floral garden. Very beautiful but when..."
- "It's a great airline if you like the idea of a flying a city bus. I don't normally do reviews but I had to go out of my way to..."
- "...This company lied and said they attempted to deliver a package at 8:04 pm at night to a business..."
- "I purchased a new home in May of 2016 from this builder in Indianola Iowa. The home itself was beautiful and they did an overall great job. I did not..."